Position: Postdoctoral Fellow
MAIL: damaledo [at] cseas.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Refugee, Humanitarian Aid, Citizenship, Migration, Decentralisation, Local Planning and Budgeting, Public Policy and Development
East Timorese community in Naibonat Village, Kupang District, West Timor
My research focuses on the topic of displacement, belonging and citizenship based on extended fieldwork in West Timor (Indonesia). I am now embarking on a new research project on Indonesian migrants in Timor-Leste, focusing on the channels on which Indonesians and East Timorese use to rebuild their relationship after the referendum.
- Peer Reviewed Articles:
- To separate is to sustain: Sacrifice and National Belonging among East Timorese in West Timor, The Australian Journal of Anthropology (TAJA), 2018. https://doi.org/10.1111/taja.12268
- “We Are Not New Citizens, We Are East Timorese”: Displacement and Labeling in West Timor. Review of Indonesian and Malaysian Affairs (RIMA) vol. 48, no. 1 (2014), pp. 159-81.
- Influences and Echoes of Indonesia in Timor-Leste, SSGM Discussion Paper 2014/8 [co-authored with Peake G, Kent L, and Thu P]
- Influences and Echoes of Indonesia in Timor-Leste, SSGM In Brief 2014/60 [co-authored with Peake G, Kent L, and Thu P]
- Book Chapter
- The Struggle Continues: Performing and transforming citizenship among East Timorese in Indonesian West Timor, in The Routledge Handbook of Contemporary Timor-Leste edited by Andrew McWilliam and
Michael Leach, Oxford: Routledge [Forthcoming 2018].