MAIL: huaxb [at] cseas.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Area Studies, Land Use, Rural Development
・International labor migration
・Ethnicity and natural resources
・Land system changes in the China-ASEAN borderland
China-ASEAN borderland has been experiencing transitions from the geographical periphery and margins of the nation-states to the frontier characterized by regional markets and comparative advantages in land, labor, and capital responding to economic globalization. My research mainly focuses on tracking and interpreting land use change and livelihood transition and exploring sustainable rural development in this borderland. In addition, I am also interested in some issues on mountain pastoralism and mountain development in southwestern China, and vulnerability and adaptation to climate change in Tibet Plateau, etc.
- Xiaobo Hua, Yasuyuki Kono, Le Zhang, Erqi Xu, Renshan Luo. (2019) How transnational labor migration affects upland land use practices in the receiving country: Findings from the China-Myanmar borderland. Land Use Policy. 84: 163-176.
- Pan Wang, Jianzhong Yan, Xiaobo Hua, Liu Yang. (2019) Determinants of livelihood choice and implications for targeted poverty reduction policies: A case study in the YNL river region, Tibetan Plateau. Ecological Indicators. 101: 1055-1063.
- Le Zhang, Chuanqing Liao, Huan Zhang, Xiaobo Hua. (2018) Multilevel modeling of rural livelihood strategies from peasant to village level in Henan Province, China. Sustainability. 10(9): 2967.
- Jianzhong Yan, Huilian Li, Xiaobo Hua, Kui Peng, Yili Zhang (2017) Determinants of engagement in off-farm employment in the Sanjiangyuan Region of the Tibetan Plateau. Mountain Research and Development. 37(4): 464-473.
- Xiaobo Hua, Jianzhong Yan, Yili Zhang. (2017) Evaluating the role of livelihood assets in suitable livelihood strategies: Protocol for anti-poverty policy in the Eastern Tibetan Plateau, China. Ecological Indicators. 78: 62-74.
- Le Zhang, Yasuyuki Kono, Xiaobo Hua, Lin Zheng, Rui Zhou. (2017) Understanding farmers’ adoption decisions for new cash crop: Evidence from Xishuangbanna, tropical China. Problemy ekorozwoju-Problems of Sustainable Development. 12(2): 99-108.
- Xiaobo Hua, Jianzhong Yan, Huilian Li, Weifeng He, Xiubin Li. (2016) Wildlife damage and cultivated land abandonment: Findings from the mountainous areas of Chongqing, China. Crop Protection. 84: 141-149.
- Jianzhong Yan, Yili Zhang, Xiaobo Hua, Liang Yang. (2016) An explanation of labor migration and grain output growth: findings of a case study in eastern Tibetan Plateau, China. Journal of Geographical Sciences. 26(4): 484-500.
- Xiaobo Hua, Jianzhong Yan. (2015) The risk of protection: The dilemma between wildlife protection and cropland use under ecological restoration. Global Land Project (GLP) News. No. 12, 70-74.
- Xiaobo Hua, Jianzhong Yan, Xiang Liu, Yingying Wu, Linshan Liu, Yili Zhang. (2013) Factors influencing the grazing management styles of settled herders: a case study of Nagqu County, Tibetan Plateau, China. Journal of Mountain Science, 10(6): 1074-1084.
- Xiaobo Hua, Jianzhong Yan, Chunjiang Zhou, Lan Chen. (2013) Marginalization of Agricultural land use in hilly areas and its explanation from the livelihood strategy of farmers: A case study on Youyang County. Acta Scientiarum Naturalium Universitatis Pekinensis, 49(6): 1047-1055.
- Google scholar: https://scholar.google.com.hk/citations?user=01zV0QUAAAAJ&hl=en
- Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Xiaobo_Hua2
- ORCID: 0000-0002-0159-1776