Position: Guest Research Associate
(JSPS Postdoctoral Fellow)
MAIL: iqra [at] cseas.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Political & Economic Coexistence
Comparative Politics, Political Theory, Southeast Asian Studies
Development, social movements, democracy, research methods, and contemporary political theory
I am a JSPS Postdoctoral Fellow and a Guest Research Associate at CSEAS, Kyoto University. I study statecraft, social movements, development, and everyday politics in the changing context of state-society relations. My book project discusses the different strategies employed by organized peasant groups and their activist allies in respond to agrarian change in contemporary Indonesia.
Concurrently, I also serve as a Research Associate at the Institute for Economic and Social Research, Education, and Information (LP3ES) in Jakarta, Indonesia. I earned a PhD in Political Science and Southeast Asian Studies from Northern Illinois University and had held research fellowships with New Mandala, Asia Culture Center, Transparency for Development Project, and Sydney Southeast Asia Centre.
- Refereed Journal Articles:
- 2015. “Peasant Movements and State Elites in Post-New Order West Java: A Case Study of Sundanese Peasant Union.” Perspectives on Global Development and Technology, Vol. 14, No. 1-2, 86-108 (special edition).
- 2013. “Kajian Asia Tenggara: Antara Narasi, Teori, dan Emansipasi (Southeast Asian Studies: Between Narratives, Theory, and Emancipation, in Indonesian).” Jurnal Kajian Wilayah, Vol. 4, No. 2, 205-228 (with Achmad Firas Khudi).
- Selected Book Chapters:
- 2019. Movements for Land Rights in Democratic Indonesia. In Thushara Dibley and Michele Ford. Eds. Activists in Transition: Progressive Politics in Democratic Indonesia. (Ithaca: Cornell University Press), forthcoming.
- Selected Review Essays:
- 2015. Indonesian Labour Movement in Historical Perspective: A View from Below. Asian Labour Review, Vol. 1, 101-114.
- 2015. Recent Studies on Indonesian Islam: A Sign of Intellectual Exhaustion? indonesia, Vol. 100, 105-116.
- 2014. Social Movements in Southeast Asia and Latin America. Journal of Current Southeast Asian Affairs, Vol. 33, No. 2, 125-137.
- Agrarian Politics in Contemporary Indonesia: Decentralized Politics, Dispossession, Countermovement
- Personal website: https://iqraanugrah.com/