Position: Affiliated Associate Professor
Food Microbiology, Infectious Disease
Area infectious study by infectious disease in Southeast Asia
Infectious diseases by eating habitance of seafood in the world
Investigation of food risk assessment in the traditional foods
Seafood on the street in Hanoi (Vietnam)
The rate of imported food in Japan has drastically increased by globalization of food supply. On the other hand, actions for the safety and security of food are not enough. According to statistics published by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Japan’s food self-sufficiency ratio was under 40 percent. After the cases involving the safety and security of food were reported, Japanese consumers take an interest in them. In addition, Japan is surrounded by the sea and has opulent fishery resources. The self-sufficiency ratio of fishery product is currently decreasing. Today, the general and scientific knowledge of the safety and security of food and seafood for imported food is limited. Therefore it is imperative issues to prepare the information ensuring the safety and security of food on the consumer public. In this study, I focus on microbiological risks of food-borne pathogen on the imported seafood. Eventually I make the concept of establishment of control policies to prevent the health risks caused by eating them.
- Premarathne J. M. K. J. K., New, C. Y., Ubong, A., Nakaguchi, Y., Nishibuchi, M., Radu, S. “Risk of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infection linked to the consumption of beef” Food Reasearch, 1(3): 67-76. 2017.
- Thung T.Y., Mahyudin N. A., Basri D.F., Wan Mohamed Radzi C. W., Nakaguchi Y., Nishibuchi M., Radu S. “Prevalence and antibiotic resistance of Salmonella Enteritidis and Salmonella Typhimurium in raw chicken meat at retail markets in Malaysia” Polutry Science, 95(8):1888-1893. 2016.
- Premarathne J. M. K. J. K., Satharasinghe, D.A., Huat J.T., Basri, D.F., Rukayadi, Y., Nakaguchi, Y., Nishibuchi, M., Radu, S., “Impact of human Campylobacter infections in South-East Asia: the contribution of the poultry sector” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, , 57(18): 3971-3986. 2016.
- Escalante-Maldonado O., Kayali A.Y., Yamazaki W., Vuddhakul V., Nakaguchi Y., Nishibuchi M. “Improvement of the quantitation method for the tdh (+) Vibrio parahaemolyticus in molluscan shellfish based on most-probable-number, immunomagnetic separation, and loop-mediated isothermal amplification” Frontiers in Microbiology, 6:270. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2015.00270. 2015.
- Kayali, A. Y., Escalante-Maldonado, O., Vuddhakul, V., Seto, K., Nakaguchi, Y., Nishibuchi, M. “Development of a Method for Detection of Shigatoxin-Producing Escherichia coli Belonging to Clinically Important Twelve O Serotypes Based on the Combination of Pickpen-Assisted Immunomagnetic Separation and Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification” International Journal of Immunology and Immunotherapy, 2(1): 1-7, 2015.
- Nakaguchi, Y. “Contamination by Vibrio parahaemolyticus and Its Virulent Strains in Seafood Marketed in Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Indonesia” Tropical Medicine and Health 41(3):95-102. 2013.
- Nakaguchi, Y. “The relationship between salt concentration and contamination by Vibrio parahaemolyticus and standard plate count bacteria of fermented squid” Japanese Journal Food Microbiology. 29(4): 230-233. 2012
- Risk assessment of food poisoning in “old” and “new” salted foods and presentation of microbiological control method (Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C), FY2017-2019, Principal Investigator)
- Seafood safety in globalized age of foods and advanced use of genetic information by epidemiological analysis of foodborne pathogen (Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (A), FY2013-2016, Principal Investigator)
- Investigation into the cause of food poisoning in the modernized traditional food (Grant-in-Aid for Challenging Exploratory Research, FY2014-2015, Principal Investigator)
- Investigation into health risk by low salt concentration in the salted food (Grant-in-Aid for Challenging Exploratory Research, FY2012, Principal Investigator)
- Development of quantitative detection method for virulent strain of Vibrio parahaemolyticus and application for seafood in field (Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists (B), FY2009-2010, Principal Investigator)