Position: Program-Specific Researcher
MAIL: theara [at] cseas.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Intellectual History, Manuscript Cultures, Politics of Ethnicity,
Southeast Asian History, Cambodia/Khmer Studies
Theara Thun is a postdoctoral fellow at the Center for Southeast Asian Studies (CSEAS), Kyoto University, Japan. Before joining CSEAS, he was a research fellow at the International Institute for Asian Studies, Leiden, the Netherlands. He received a PhD in History at the National University of Singapore under a joint doctoral scholarship program between the National University of Singapore and the Harvard-Yenching Institute (Cambridge, MA, USA). His research interests include the relationship between local texts and figures and the construction of collective identity and religion from the pre-colonial to post-independence periods of Cambodia and Southeast Asia.
- Thun, T. “A Man Who Killed the King: The Kan Narrative in Nineteenth and early Twentieth-century Khmer Chronicle Manuscripts” Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society (resubmission).
- Thun, T. “An epistemological transition: From the palace chronicles to scholarly Khmer historiography under French colonial rule” Journal of Southeast Asian Studies (forthcoming).
- Thun, T. (Summer 2018). “Representations of the Past in a Pre-colonial Khmer Monastery Manuscript” The Newsletter, International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS), No 80, p. 5.
- Thun, T. (August 2017). “Multi-level Movements and Multi-level Interconnectivity Approach” Regional Journal of Southeast Asian Studies 2(2) pp. 109-111 (think piece).
- Thun, T. (2008). “Khmer Rouge Children’s Songs” Asian Review of Chulalongkorn University. Vol. 21, pp. 84-104.
- Book Reviews:
- Thun, T. (2019). “Cambodia’s second kingdom: Nation, imagination, and democracy” by Astrid Noren-Nilsson. Journal of Southeast Asian Studies 50(2), pp. 294-296.
- Thun, T. (2016). “Preah Sdach Kân” by Ros Chantrabot, New Frontiers in Asian Scholarship of Harvard-Yenching Institute: https://harvard-yenching.org/features/preah-sdach-k-n-god-king-k-n
- Thun, T (2015). “Khmer History” by Troeung Ngea, New Frontiers in Asian Scholarship of Harvard-Yenching Institute: https://harvard-yenching.org/features/khmer-history
- “An Intellectual History of Cambodia: From Conventional Chronicles to Scholarly Historiography, 1850s-1960s”.
- “The Politics of Ethnicity of Post-independence Cambodia, 1950s-1970s” (Lead author, Co-PI: Keo Duong).
- 2019: The Wang Gungwu Medal and Prize for Best PhD Thesis in the Social Sciences/Humanities, National University of Singapore.
- 2016: Best Paper Award at the 5th Global Social Science Graduate Student Conference, Hong Kong Baptist University.
- 2016: Best Presentation Award at the 5th Global Social Science Graduate Student Conference, Hong Kong Baptist University.
- 2015: Best Paper Award at the 4th Global Social Science Graduate Student Conference, Hong Kong Baptist University.
- 2015: Second Runner-up Best Presentation Award at the 4th Global Social Science Graduate Student Conference, Hong Kong Baptist University.