MAIL: yama [at] cseas.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Malaysian studies, Media studies
Malaysian studies, nationalism, disaster management, film studies, Jawi document
Interested in how people struggle to establish a society through expressing and sharing their ideas among themselves, in situations where people with different backgrounds gather together and it is unclear what the future will be like. Past and ongoing researchs include delononization in Malaysia, disaster management and information sharing in Indonesia and the Philippines, and theaters and films in Southeast Asia.
- Lim, David & YAMAMOTO Hiroyuki. (eds.). 2011. Film in Contemporary Southeast Asia: Cultural Interpretation and Social Intervention. Routledge.
- YAMAMOTO Hiroyuki, Anthony Milner, KAWASHIMA Midori, & ARAI Kazuhiro (eds.). 2011. Bangsa and Umma: Development of People-Grouping Concepts in Islamized Southeast Asia. Kyoto University Press.
- Regional Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction in Asia with Networking Researchers, Practitioners and Information (JSPS Core-to-Core Program, 2015-2017)
- Cine Adobo Project (Research in Film and Society in Southeast Asia): http://personal.cseas.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~yama/film/
- Jawi Research Society in Japan http://personal.cseas.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~yama/jawi/eng/